Emotional eating is a response to emotional triggers. Here, one opts to eat food to deal with the emotions that they are feeling. This short-term response to an emotional trigger may seem optimum, but it is not a feasible option in the long run. In this article, we will talk about how you can manage these cravings for emotional eating in a better way.
One can understand the root cause of the emotional eating trigger to handle it better. Take a deeper look at how this urge makes you feel. The awareness of the situation can help you manage it better and come up with the necessary steps to manage it.
One should take a deeper look into their emotional eating triggers to come up with a permanent solution for this situation. However, this is easier said than done but if you can achieve it.
Following are some of the options that can help you manage your emotional eating better.
- It is good to engage in relaxation practices when you feel like indulging in emotional eating.
- It includes activities like yoga, meditation, taking a stroll in the lawn or park, and many such activities. These relaxation practices could vary from person to person.
- The goal of these practices is to relax and calm one’s body and mind.
Healthy eating options:
- It is inevitable to avoid this urge to indulge in emotional eating. Instead of being harsh on yourself and starving, you can switch to healthy food options.
- Unhealthy food may seem tempting and easy to access, but remember that healthy food options are better.
- You can stock up on all healthy or low-calorie snacking options and replace them with your usual snacks. It will help you avoid unhealthy food options when you crave them.
- Keep some food prepared so that you do not stress when you crave certain food and choose easy junk food.
- You can also avoid keeping comfort food that is not good for your health or is hard to avoid at home.
Rely on people:
- Dealing with the situation alone can be taxing on one’s mind and health. It can also lead to the worsening of the situation.
- Rely on loved ones and talk to them. It could be family, friends, or anyone who you feel comfortable with.
- If needed, one should visit an expert or support group of people dealing with similar issues.
Distract from the craving:
- Emotional eating is opting to eat when you want to deal with your emotion. This eating could lead to unhealthy eating or overeating. Both cases are harmful in the long run.
- Apart from opting for healthy alternative food, you can also distract yourself from cravings or emotions by engaging in other activities.
- These activities could vary from person to person. Choose an activity that you like and find comfort in.
- These activities could be anything like reading, hanging out with friends, listening to music, taking a walk, and many other options.